Wind turbine plans are scrapped
Published Date: 03 August 2009
The news has been received with jubilation by East Meon campaigners
Christopher Napier, vice-chairman of the national CPRE, said: “We really had to win this one.
“If turbines had been put here (East Meon), there would hardly be a site in England where they could have been stopped.”
John Venning, chairman of CPRE Hampshire, added: “We are delighted that Volkswind have seen sense, to a great degree as a result of the efforts of a large number of volunteers and environmental organisations.
“But it just shows how vigilant we need to be at all times if we are to look after the countryside and the views that we love.”
Owen Plunkett, chairman of Hampshire Ramblers, commented: “The idea that you could put a wind farm within metres of one of the loveliest and most used national trails in the country was preposterous. The decision not to go ahead was quite right.”
Steve Ankers, planning officer for the South Downs Society, said: “The value of precious landscapes like the South Downs to everyone – whether they live here or visit – is so great that we really have to work to protect them from this sort of industrial intrusion.
“We are really pleased the developers have decided not to go ahead.”
For the full story buy the Petersfield Post this Wednesday (August 5).