June 22, 2009, 8:24 PM by NP Editor
I would like to nominate CanWea (Canadian Wind Energy Association) and all the NGOs that support the wind industry. Nowhere can it be shown that industrial wind energy will:
- close down coal-powered plants;
- create new long-term jobs without atrophying jobs in owther sectors because of redirected funding for wind initiatives;
- reduce greenhouse-gas emissions in amounts that would justify the funding that Big Wind will received from taxpayers’ pockets;
- not put people in harm’s way because of the large quantities of infrasound and low-frequency noise generated;
- not disproportionately increase electricity rates over other more economic, reliable and technically sound forms of electrical generation;
- not cause a loss of prime agricultural land and specialty crop areas at a large rate when associated roadways and transmission requirements are included;
- not cause a loss of amenity with constant strobing lights at night or shadow flicker during the day.
The relevant NGOs include:
- The David Suzuki Foundation for its continual support of claims that CO2 is pollution rather than an element needed for photosynthesis, a necessary process in the production of food.
- Environmental Defence, which falsely states that Denmark has reduced its CO2 emissions because of renewables.
- The Pembina Institute which believes that nuclear can be replaced by an inefficient intermittent source such as wind energy because wind is always blowing somewhere in Ontario.